Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Best Biscuits Ever

I love really good biscuits.  They are so easy to make, and it only takes about 6 ingredients.  There are as many recipes as there are bakers, and I like to pretend I am a Southerner sometimes, so I don't use a recipe unless I am shooting for a special biscuit.  This is one that I put in the oven with about 10 minutes prep. time, I doubled it in my head.  I must admit that it is loaded with fat, as most good biscuits are, hence the good color of the tops.
  • Cut in the shortening well.  I found a pastry blender at a second hand store for about $1.00.
  • I like Kosher salt.
  • Use a sharp round cutter. Not a glass (they won't raise as high because of the dullness of the glass.)  Williams Sonoma has a wonderful set of cutters for about $12.00.
  • When you cut the biscuit, go straight down with the cutter, or they might raise lopsided.
  • The biscuits should not touch each other.
  • The oven should be nice and hot.  425F.

My Basic recipe
 2 cups all purpose,unbleached flour, plus extra for dusting the counter, and your rolling pin.
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, fresh,  under 6 months old
1/2 cup heavy cream
ice water

Working in a medium bowl, cut the shortening into the flour, salt and baking powder until small pea size. Stir in the heavy cream and enough water for the dough to pull together when stirring, about 1/2-2/3 cup more.  Knead the dough in the bowl with one hand while holding onto the bowl with the other about 10 times.  Let the dough rest on a floured counter for as long as it takes for you to clean up the dishes.
Roll out the dough 3/4 inch thick.  Cut the biscuits with sharp cutter to your desired circumference, pressing straight down, DO NOT TWIST.  Place the biscuits on parchment paper and bake 425F. for approximately 20-22 minutes, until nice golden brown on top.

As you perfect your biscuit prowess, you will want to add herbs like sage or chives.  You can also make the Red Lobster biscuits with sharp cheddar and garlic butter on top.  I have also substituted 1 cup buttermilk, which will cut back on the fat, but they won't look as good.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cindy - I'm going to try it Sunday. I'll let you know how it turns out. What about a Kerr lid?

Cynthia's Blog said...

Save a can of soup or something.

autovit said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think it is not a very difficult recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

masini second said...

Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think that this is a easy recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

Unknown said...

I found your blog through the hive. I love biscuits. These are on my to try list soon!
thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

these turned out very nice- crispy and flaky on the top and bottom, tender inside, wonderful flavor, and easy!! Thanks! -KG

ShareThis