Thursday, January 08, 2009

Barefoot Bloggers--Banana Sour Cream Pancakes


This week for our Barefoot Bloggers post, Karen of Something Sweet by Karen choose, Ina's Banana Sour Cream Pancakes, from the Barefoot Contessa's Family Style Cookbook, page 177. I had made these before and several times thereafter. They are exceptional.
Banana takes on a really beautiful flavor when you get it warm. You need perfectly ripe bananas as pictured above to get the full bouquet of the fruit though. The bananas in the pancake itself will almost melt in your mouth; and the bananas you top the pancake with will provide a nice "tooth" to your bite. (I prefered mine diced as opposed to sliced)

I have found that to get a really beautiful color on the pancake itself you need to use oil, not Pam, then wait until the sides of the pancake are dry looking before turning. It will be nice and crispy too.

Pancakes are really personal. We have preferences for thickness, and color, some of us want butter, or fruity syrup opposed to maple syrup, even others want nuts or whole grain. This is a recipe that you can adapt to your preference. I added whole grain to my pancakes in the form of Dee's Cereal . I added 1/2 cup of Dee's Cereal in addition to what is listed in Ina's ingredients list.

9 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I made these the other day as well Cynthia. I agree that the bananas were a nice sweet touch...they were just so good!!!

chocolatechic said...

We loved these pancakes.

Anonymous said...

I loved adding cut bananas to the recipe instead of mashing them. These were so good!

Anonymous said...

your pancakes look great. i know i'm going to be making these many times so it will be nice to try out different variations to see what else works.

Anne said...

Those look fabulous and I'm envious of your cook book collection. Yum! :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Your pancakes look beautiful--great job. Thanks for the pancake making tips too.

Summer said...

They look delicious. I had made them before too, but this was the first time I tried them with bananas, I loved them!

Anonymous said...

I bet the whole grains made them fantastic!
~Cat

Christine said...

These were so delicious and simple to make!

ShareThis