Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Harlem is Hot!



Here are a few photo's of our recent visit to Harlem. It really is experiencing a Renaissance. I was very uplifted with what I saw. Where once a dilapitaed building lurked, it is now a vital new affordble housing building with business like: M.A.C. Cosmetics, Lane Bryant, Aeropostle, and Starbucks,as flagship stores. To deter the past problems like, Slumlord difficulties, crackhouses etc... If you buy a building in Harlem you must live in it. A few years ago, Brownstone townhouses used to sell for a few thousand dollars, they are now selling for several Hundred Thousand Dollars and crime is at an all time low. Harlem residents are learning skills and receiving higher educations thus bringing vital dollars into the area.

It was great seeing great landmarks like the Apollo Theatre, and the Cotton Club. I was amazed to learn that the second largest religion was Islam in Harlem, next to Southern Baptism as its largest denomination. Did you know that all "Madam Alexander" dolls are all born in Harlem?

2 comments:

Cari said...

Awesome. I have a collection of Madame Alexander's and I had no idea. You learn something new every day!

Cari said...

So, I hear you called your Dave like "a billion" times from Yankee stadium! (I ran into him at Walkers.) Too funny!

ShareThis