Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Confessions of the Glad Housewife

Do you know that it takes a lot of work to be married? Being "glad" all the time is pretty much impossible. Case in point; this picture is a good image of two people who were not very happy with each other that day. Can you see the strain in my face? Can you see the forced smile on Dave's face? I insisted on taking this picture here, before our beautiful clematis lost its incredible bloom, much to Dave's chagrin. Even though we took several shots this was the only decent one. I am convinced it is because we just weren't "feeling it" that day. We had a rather nasty disagreement before church, that we forgave each other for right after Sacrament, but there were obvious ripples in the water that hadn't calmed because we hadn't had the chance to talk about some of the things that were said.

As I have read many blogs, I haven't ever read a post that touches on the realness of a marriage. Real things like rotten days that every couple shares! Ugly disagreements that can foul up a day or weekend or, even in our case this time, 4 or 5 days. Real things like two people who still love each other at the end of the day and know that they have screwed up, and, have let lawns, children, laundry, money, church, neighbors and the house, come before each other for a bit too long. Life is good for us, we don't have a lot of worries, but sometimes it is "life" that gets in our way.

A successful marriage isn't one where couples don't fight, I am convinced of it. A successful marriage is one that both partners make even more incredible after the fight. Both partners have learned from the disagreement, fix the problem, thus making the marriage able to sustain the next issue it faces. And it will face issues. There is my confession, I don't have a perfect life, I don't profess to have a perfect marriage, but it is perfectly great for me, us,our family!

If I am wrong, and you and your spouse don't fight, I am so happy for you, but you are missing out on the making up part;-)

1 comment:

Cari said...

amen.

ShareThis