Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lollipop Guild

So I have been getting hassled by daughter number two.
"Make suckers Mommy".
That would sound cute coming out of the mouth of a 2 year old, but Malaina is 20.
So I get all the makings out, and she disappears down into her girl cave of a bedroom! But my heart goes out to her. She has a bitch of a Microbiology test she has been doing all weekend. (Sorry for the language, but if the shoe fits....) It has only 8 questions, and she has been at for about 24 hours total. It is Sunday night and she still has 3 questions to go.
But to be honest, I too have been thinking about it ever since I found my ancient Lollipop tree in the dark nether regions of my Christmas decorations crap. I usually only make cinnamon suckers. The other flavors do not appeal to the Glad Family. We like them as hot and spicy as we can stand it.

Some sugar cooking tips.
  1. Use a heavy gauge aluminum pot. In this case a skillet from my Grandma Ruby's kitchen. It is vintage, but oh it heats sugar incredibly even, and it has a pouring spout.
  2. Watch the sugar so it doesn't burn. If it gets burned you're screwed. It can get slightly amber in color and you are still okay.
  3. Use a marble slab, and your suckers will harden lightening fast. I found this one at a close out store in Michigan, about 23 years ago.
  4. Measure ingredients precisely. My copper measuring cups are so cool even Giada de Laurentis or Paula Dean don't have a set. These also came from the close out store in Michigan.


We are lucky to have incredible candy supply stores in Utah. Gygi Culinary Solutions
Other readers can link on the blog and order directly.
The above molds are some that I prefer using as opposed to the plastic ones. They seem to have more dimension. I want a sucker to really fill up my mouth.
If you click on the photo above you can see the threading the sugar makes when it is at a hard crack. I recommend a "quality" candy thermometer.


LOLLIPOPS
Bring to a boil over medium high heat:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 cup corn syrup

Boil to 300 degrees (or 292 at Wasatch Front elevation.) (NOTE: decrease boiling temp, by 2 degrees for every 1000 feet above sea level you live
). Remove from heat, stir in with a clean wooden spoon; the flavoring and color of choice. POUR CAREFULLY into molds. Let harden completely before removing the molds.


These two books, shown above, are my candy making standards. They are written by Utah women, and these copies are littered with drops of sugar and other goo that I have left in them over the decades. My high school classmate Julie gave me the book on the right. It has the worlds best fudge recipe in it. I have made it every Christmas for 22 years. I am sure I will do it here for this blog soon.

I tried to get a picture of my stinking Lollipop tree on here, but Blogger is "sucking" technically tonight! I normally don't use so much crude language, but this is my blog and I can make it as colorful as I want. My mood is quite colorful tonight.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cari said...

Wow. Those look so good! You never cease to amaze me! Beautiful pictures.

Good luck Malaina!

The Blonde Duck said...

Colorful indeed! The suckers look great!

Anonymous said...

oh my !!! can i come and stay with you :-). they look GREAT !

ShareThis