Sunday, December 21, 2008

Weekend Cookbook Challenge 35 -Starters


Cat Cora's Smoked Paprika Shredded Pork Crisps with
Orange Fennel Marmalade
From Bon Appétite magazine. I have noticed that the recipes in the last two issues were real keepers for me. Sure there are some real losers too, but I usually just thumb through this magazine and don't give the recipes another thought. I mean, they are on line so if I really want one I will just look it up and get it from there.

For the Weekend Cookbook Challenge (thanks to Sara from i like to cook ) we were given the challenge to make a nifty Appetizer. I don't normally go to parties, but when I do, I take my taquitos. Since it is a family recipe, it would not fit in here, we are supposed to use a cookbook, magazine or Internet source for the recipes we use in the challenge.

I saw these darling little starters published in the January 2008 issue of Bon Appétite as an advertisement for McCormick Gourmet Spices. We really liked it. It was easy to make and the flavors were very complimentary. Pork is very affordable right now too.

The recipe didn't call for cranberries, but I knew they would work here, and I had some in my freezer, so what the heck?


1 tablespoon,plus 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons each salt and cinnamon
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon each chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, coriander
3 pound pork butt or shoulder roast
1 bag of Tostitos Scoops
Preheat oven to 325. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Rub the entire surface of the pork with the mixture. Place the pork in a dutch oven lined with foil, then cover with more foil and the lid of the dutch oven. Roast pork for 2 1/2 hours. Chop and shred the pork. Return it to the juices in the pan, mix well. (Just before serving, spoon shredded pork into tortilla chips. Top each with a small spoonful of marmalade)

Prepare this Marmalade while the pork is roasting
1 large head fennel, finely chopped, reserve the green tops for garnish
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 large orange
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
Mix the fennel, orange juice, sugar and ginger in large saucepan. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Meanwhile, finely grate orange peel. Remove orange sections and coarsely chop. Stir grated peel and chopped orange into fennel mixture. Simmer 15 minutes longer or until mixture is reduced and somewhat thick. Stir in cilantro and salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Notes: I needed to cook this longer than the recipe for the marmalade stated.
We added a touch of my homemade salsa to the top and it was excellent!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sara said...

those are gorgeous! thanks so much for sharing with WCC.

Jordanian Princess said...

These were so good!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these sound awesome. I've bookmarked the recipe and will have to give them a try ( I love just about anything with Tostitos Scoops)

ShareThis