Monday, March 02, 2009

These Are Not Evil

Yes, you read it correctly...these are not evil. Let's face it, YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT CREDIT CARDS!!! Many of you know I sent my child off to study in Argentina. Last night Malaina called frantic. An ATM machine ate and kept her debit card!!! I was paralyzed with fear. Gasping with despair!! But ever the sensible, calm, voice of reason for the Glad family, I remembered (are you screaming with laughter yet?) my last action before hugging this child adios was to pull a spare credit card out of my wallet as an EMERGENCY card, and then placing it in her hands. Seriously... I don't get to sleep until 4 or 5 am, and she left the house at 6:30 with her dad for the airport, so where did this idea come from? Dave thinks it was inspiration. I have to agree. So she was able to use it at the ATM. I didn't remember what the pin number was, but Malaina guessed it and it worked. I was able to sleep well that day.

Needless to say, Mr. Glad is going to be having some Credit Union butt for lunch tomorrow as we were very specific, that they NOT flag her card while she was overseas. They did this to us in Malaysia once and were were miserable all weekend not knowing how to get cash from our US account.

I was also inspired when I made this most incredible and amazing HUMMUS for dinner last week with homemade PITA.Never one to toot my own horn, but....
I also made an incredible TOMATO-CUCUMBER-FETA salad.

My vegetarian child was incredibly thrilled.


Hummus
1 heaping cup dried chickpeas, picked over, rinsed, and soaked in 4 cups water for 6 hours or overnight
4 cups water
salt
2 large garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tahini, stirred if the oil has separated
Broth from the beans,

Optional garnish, pine nuts, chopped fresh mint, small imported olives,

1.Drain the chickpeas and combine with the water in a large saucepan or pot. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Add salt to taste ( 1 to 2 teaspoons) and continue to simmer until tender,a bout 1 hour. Remove from the heat and drain through a colander or strainer set over a bowl.

2. Turn on a food processor fitted with the steel blade and drop in the garlic. PRocess until the garlic adheres to the sides of the bowl. Turn off the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the chickpeas and cumin. Process to a coarse purée and scrape down the sides of the bowl.

3. Combine the lemon juice and olive oil, and with the machine running, pour into the processor Add the tahini and process until the hummus is smooth. If the mixture seems thick or dry, thin out with liquid from the beans, water or yogurt. Season generously with salt. Scrape into a bowl or mound onto a platter. Top with any of the garnishes. Serve with warm pita bread.

**In Israel, they serve with olive oil on top, and a really mild yogurt** This is a recipe I will probably make weekly since it is so healthful and good.

2 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks fabulous! I should make it for Ben!

Malaina said...

Thank you for the card!!! saved my butt

ShareThis