Saturday, February 28, 2009

Daring Bakers Flour-less Chocolate Cake

The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.
We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.

Note on recipe - the recipe consists of 3 simple ingredients and how you interpret them is part of the challenge. The simplicity of this recipe gives credit to the ingredients much in the same way of French baguette.

-This recipe comes together very quickly with a hand mixer.

-This is a very decadent cake that will sink a little as it cools but will still hold its shape.

-Very dense and fudgy cake that tastes divine.

-The top forms a light crust kind of like a brownie


Chocolate Valentino

Preparation Time: 20 minutes

16 ounces (1 pound) (454 grams) of semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped

½ cup (1 stick) plus 2 tablespoons (146 grams total) of unsalted butter

5 large eggs separated

1. Put chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water) and melt, stirring often.

2. While your chocolate butter mixture is cooling. Butter your pan and line with a parchment circle then butter the parchment.

3. Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites and put into two medium/large bowls.

4. Whip the egg whites in a medium/large grease free bowl until stiff peaks are formed (do not over-whip or the cake will be dry).

5. With the same beater beat the egg yolks together.

6. Add the egg yolks to the cooled chocolate.

7. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and follow with remaining 2/3rds. Fold until no white remains without deflating the batter.

8. Pour batter into prepared pan, the batter should fill the pan 3/4 of the way full, and bake at 375F/190C

9. Bake for 25 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 140F/60C.


Note – If you do not have an instant read thermometer, the top of the cake will look similar to a brownie and a cake tester will appear wet.

10. Cool cake on a rack for 10 minutes then unmold.


I followed these instructions to the letter. I even used the thermometer. The instructions were quite specific in stating not to over cook it. When mine reached 143 degrees I took it out of the oven. I waited patiently for it to cool for a while before I unmolded it. Well, what a mess; there was goo all over the counter as it oozed everywhere. It was undercooked by at least 15 minutes. Help! It just flowed all over the counter. I couldn't even snap a photo, since I was afraid it would flow onto the floor. I had to hurry and salvage what I could.
I scooped up most of it and put it in a pyrex dish and re-baked it for a few more minutes.

I do admit it tasted pretty darn good. I think it could have been saved if I had chilled the molded cake solid, then un-molded it.
The hosts of this month's challenge also asked us to prepare an ice cream (sorry...too cold in Utah to do this) to go with this and to think about how to garnish it with a bit of thought.

So, I made a simply awesome Lime Mousse from my favorite cookbook, The Silver Palate, by Sheila Lukins and Julie Russo.
This recipe had lots of butter and heavy cream in it, so you know it was good.

I also took careful consideration of the garnish. I candied some lime peel. As instructed by Chef Emeril.
Yes, this was a really easy recipe. If I find some good chocolate at a good price, I might make it again; and bake it longer.

9 comments:

Leslie said...

even though it was undercooked..I know the flavor was amazing!!!!

Cari said...

Your family is very lucky! Everything looked so yummy!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Glad you were able to salvage at least part of the cake... and the mousse sounds amazing!

Laura said...

you are one hard core mamma! everything looks delicious!

Joyce said...

Man oh man! I don't know how you do it...when Malaina comes home we need to party it up at your casa. :)

Spike said...

that lime zest looks great. At least you got to salvage some of this cake

TeaLady said...

So, you had a flowing chocolate cake. Sounds fine to me. Sorry it gave you so much trouble, but i think that ice cream made up for it.

The Cherub's Craft Blog said...

Wow what a fantastic job of saving it :) I agree though, letting it cool before unmoulding worked best for me too :)

Laurel said...

Good choice of topping in COLD weather in lieu of the ice cream...I bet it was perfect with the chocolate valentino!

ShareThis