Sunday, October 05, 2008

24th Anniversary Today

October 1984, I think this photo is the day before we got married. Our wedding pictures are in the garage in my cedar chest, that is still packed away.
I had Dave scan this for me. I am embarrassed to admit it is quite dusty from the frame I have had it in. I think my housekeeping skills need improvement. Most marriages can benefit from an occasional dusting off too don't you think? Sometimes life's challenges can make us so busy that we forget to keep the cobwebs off of those parts of ourselves that make us who we are. My marriage to Dave has made me the woman I am today. With ne'er a discouraging word, he has been my other half in every way.


This is our first family portrait, from January 1988. Dave has seen me through THICK and not so thick. But mostly thick. Here I am 6 months pregnant with Malaina. Jordan is just one year old. Dave still uses this blazer he has on. (He has been the same size pant/shirt our entire marriage.) It is one of those examples of frugality that Dave has. Why should he get rid of a perfectly good blazer? Even if it is 20 years old? I am loving my hair in this photo. I think I'll do it like this again! It looks like half the women in the Tabernacle Choir! Don't you just love the yoke's on our dresses?

Here we are last Valentine's Day 2008. We are in possession of a few more pounds, a few more wrinkles, a few more gray hairs, and loads and loads of wisdom. This is a marriage based on love and respect for each other. That there also exists, patience and understanding goes without saying. Our marriage works because we respect each other's privacy and we have complete unselfishness. I don't begrudge him his man time, and he turns the other cheek when I come home with yet another pair of shoes. We have taken 4 vacations this year and none of them have been together yet, but, we are getting away next weekend. We don't have to spend every spare minute together, but when we do have that alone time, we really have so much fun together. Ask him about our experience at Sam's Club last Saturday, NEVER a DULL MOMENT!


Raise your imaginary glasses with me everyone: Here's to the next 24 years!


8 comments:

Cari said...

YEA!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I loved this post. You two are a great example of a team and I love you guys! I hope you had a great anniversary. Love the pictures too! Jordan looks exactly the same but with hair now! So cute!

Cari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hey Jude! said...

Happy Anniversary!

jake roi said...

Awesome! You guys are a year ahead of us, and I agree with all your reasons and methods for making it work. Happy, happy anniversary!

The Blonde Duck said...

Congratulations! Ya'll are a great example to all us young married folk. Thanks for showing true love still exists!

Veronica said...

Happy Anniversary!! My 18th is coming up-sometimes I just can't figure out where all the time has gone. Hope you have 24 more years together!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Were we all that young once?! Where was that picture taken? You all look great :-) Long-lasting marriages today are worth holding up to the light!

Here's to 24 more for you both . . .
-Cindy

Heather said...

Here, here! way to go Cynthia and Dave. We need to go out to dinner some time.

ShareThis