I will clarify on the deer hunt...he went with 3 other guys. Only one of the deer is ours.
The last challenge was such a stinker at our house, that I just knew from reading the Pot Pie recipe, I would have to do some editing.
- I left out the squash, the pearl onions, the saffron and the Pernod (licorice flavored liqueur). And I cut back on the butter by 1/2 a stick. Sorry Ina. The butter requirement was insane.
- To keep this gravy vegetarian for my daughter I also used vegetable broth instead of the chicken broth, with great success! It also turned the gravy a really pretty dark color.
- I added my own homegrown frozen sugar snap peas, haricot verts (french green beans), and chicken breast to the large pot pie. I left the small one alone for my daughter.
- Did any other BB's find that this recipe made twice as much as you thought it would? Mine would have fed a very generous 6+.
- There was tons of extra pastry, so I made it into sugar sprinkled treats.
- I loved the addition of the fennel bulb. I will be purchasing this on a regular basis from now on, I can think of lots of ways to use this. Before, I had only eaten it in salads, and it was just ok. I think the fact that I took the liberty to caramelize the onions and the fennel, added great depth to this gravy.
- Oh, and I also found some of those great "albino"asparagus at Sunflower Farmer's Market! Only .99 a pound!
- I will be making variations of this again.